Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Family Vacation – take 2

Hello friendly bloggers. I wish you were all with us on this trip.

After a late and rainy start to the day, things shaped up nicely for a wonderful afternoon. We began at Magnolia Café in Austin with a rather large breakfast. I had the Magnolia Omelet… two fluffy eggs filled to the brim with yummy goodness - avocados, tomatoes, lots of gooey cheese, and black olives all topped with a phenomenal lemon sour cream sauce. I threw eating healthy out the window… but I wasn’t hungry again for hours! Oh, and I had two sides, home style potatoes and black beans. Oh, to eat breakfast there again.

To let the food settle and to make us feel better, we went for a stroll in the park… for a geocache. Yep, I know what you’re thinking, I’m a dork, but it’s a great way to see the city or at least the small park we were in.

We found a short windmill in the middle of this park, hidden from the street view. It took us about 10 minutes before we made the find, but I pointed to spot here I thought it was and Clint went and got it. It was the first find for Carole and Blue. Clint had never heard of my game before, so needless to say, it was his first, too.

Now that breakfast is officially settle, off to swim. Remember kids, you have to wait at least 30 minutes after eating before getting in the pool!

We headed over to Barton Springs Pool, a natural spring that comes from Colorado. Whew, it was chilly, but after you were used to the cold, it was actually really nice. The water was so clear and clean, minus the seaweed, which we aptly named spring weed. But the spring weed was few and far between so it was a nice time to swim. We had some rain move through yesterday morning, so it was that much nicer sitting on the bank of the spring after getting out of the water. Craig even snuck in a nap while we were swimming. That was a stellar place… I wish we had one in DFW. If you get a chance to swim in Austin, no matter what time of year because it’s always the same temperature – 68/70 degrees, I encourage you to visit this spring in Zilker Park.

We were worn out after swimming all day, but we had worked up an appetite. For dinner, we visited Salt Lick Barbeque. Oh. My. Goodness. Those of you that really know me know I love one type of meat at a barbeque joint, sausage, and sausage only please! The only place where I really love their sausage is Spring Creek. But now they have a competitor. I got the sausage plate and it came with so much sausage I felt my stomach would explode if I ate it all, and I’m not even talking about the side items. Fortunately, I only cared for their potato salad which is extremely hard to describe, but they are so simple and good. The other two sides, which I only had a bite of, were barbeque beans and coleslaw. Back to the sausage… it was delicious and juicy. Not one piece of grizzle and when partnered with their delectable sauce you wanted to scream out loud that it was so good. I have leftovers that I’ll probably eat for breakfast this morning after my blog. Gotta hurry… I’m hungry for more bbq.

After dinner, we trekked back to the campsite and wound down the day with some good conversation outside the trailer in the nice muggy outdoors. Today, it’s back to the river to tube, after bbq breakfast that is.

Pictures of our family adventure will be posted after I return, but stay tuned for more excitement.

1 comments:

Joy said...

Haha. So funny because you're visiting all the places Garry has recently introduced me too and I absolutely love! Salt Lick makes me drool all over myself...yum! Have fun! Can't wait to see pics!

Post a Comment