Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Simple Gift

Today I was approached by the head of our Human Resources department. He asked me if we were going to do something for Maria, our office cleaning lady. I hadn’t heard of anything that was planned but I told him we could work on something.

He then gave me some cash and told me, because she’s considered part-time, that she isn’t eligible for a yearly bonus. I took the “seed money” and went office to office of those that are here and asked if they wanted to donate to Maria’s Christmas bonus.

I was amazed, for the second time, at how many people wanted to help her.
At 3 p.m., three of us met Maria in the fishbowl – a glass conference room in our office – and presented her with her “bonus.” She was so appreciative, said Merry Christmas, and wished that God would repay us ten-fold for helping her and her family.

You may be wondering why we care so much about Maria. Like many people, she hasn’t had an easy life, but her story touched our office.

A little over a year ago, her husband tragically passed away and was left to raise four young children on her own. Due to the nature of his passing, she no longer wanted to live in their home and decided to move her family in with her in-laws. Shortly after moving in, her father-in-law passed away.

The majority of the Rangers staff didn’t know all of this had happened until six months later. Three of us banded together and started asking for donations from within the company and local businesses. In June, we presented her with a huge package of cash and gifts to help her and her family. This was the first time I was amazed by my fellow employee’s willingness to give so much to someone. Everyone went above and beyond to help her and we were able to give her something many people wish for but never receive.

It’s a nice feeling to be apart of something so selfless and to see that selflessness spreading to others. It truly is moving and rewarding.

Just the other day I blogged about how I wasn’t feeling in the Christmas spirit. It wasn’t until we put up our Christmas tree that I felt something for the season. It has hit me in the face today that I don’t need a tree, or lights, or gifts, or anything to connect me with God’s spirit. His spirit is within me and I can feel it when I help others. Not just at Christmas, but always.


I can’t wait for the next opportunity to help someone.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Kaylan,
The very reason you just mentioned above is why you’re my best friend. When someone gives you a gift, you take it that extra step further to make sure that person’s heart will be fulfilled. After a very long day of work, this definitely touched me. I’m glad you and your coworkers were able to help her out. I remember meeting her early this year. She is a kind person.
I want to wish you and Craig a Merry Christmas.

Michelle

Laura and Lane said...

awwww I wish I would have been there! How wonderful. I am so happy that she got a little something extra. What a sweet woman. I want to do more for her!!!!

Post a Comment